Thursday, April 23, 2009

So Long, Good Riddance!

I have (had) a tooth that has been causing me grief for at least a decade, maybe two. I have lost count. It first manifested itself as a cavity in my youth, probably sometime during Junior High. Then, when I was in college, I think the filling broke or some such nonsense and I had to have a root canal. I moved to Utah, literally on the day they finished up with the root canal (my family waited in the car in the parking lot) and was given a permanent filling to hold it over until I could get a crown. No insurance and several years later, the filling finally gave up the ghost and I had no choice but to fork over the hard-earned cash for a crown. A year or two later, the crown broke, fell off, gave up the ghost and I had to fork over yet more cash for yet another crown!! This time at least I had some insurance, but it still was several hundred dollars as insurance only covers crowns at 50%. Ugh! So, now here we are less than a year later and being caused much grief over this stupid tooth, yet again. So, another trip to the dentist to find out the problem, and a referral to the Endodontist. The endontist says the only thing he could do is get another root canal, but is not convinced it will solve the problem and it would be extremely difficult to do under the circumstances and probably only has a less than 20% chance of succeeding. He believes there is a crack somewhere in my tooth and all the work I have done has only been a bandaid and not a solution. His suggestion is just to pull the tooth, it is a molar way in the back top of my mouth, Tooth #2 for those of you aware of such things. So, today I went back to the dentist and had the tooth pulled. Several shots and good yanks later, I am now sporting a nice hole in my mouth. I am thinking I should have saved the dumb thing since it has been such a huge part of my life and has cost me so much money. Hopefully I made the right decision as I now have a huge hole in my mouth that bled for hours and caused me to have ice cream for dinner. (Not really complaining about that part!) Hopefully it will heal with no problems and won't ruin my vacation this weekend. :o( So long, crappy tooth. You have caused me much grief and undeservedly so!

3 comments:

Robert said...

Speaking from a lifetime of dental experience (the wrong side) I can say with confidence you will be alright, and you probably should have had that pulled years ago, prepare for a better life. I am the only person I know by the way that knows some of the dental language just from being a patient lol

Logan & Lindy said...

Ouch you tooth sounds very painful!! To answer your question about my townhouse pretty much... I have had a run of bad luck on renters! The lady in there just doesnt have enough money to pay me every month. She is way to strapped. She hasnt payed me for April she said when she gets enough she will pay me!!(crossing my fingers) So we decided that it was better for her to move out. She agreed it would be easier for her live with her parents while she gets on her feet. SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you hear of ANY one that is looking for a place send them my way!!! I am hoping I can spread the word to alot of the ward. Hopefully they will know of some one that will stay put in my house for a while!!!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

OH man. Wicked little tooth problems! Sorry to hear about the pain and frustration but glad you at least got rid of it! I too think you should've held on to it. Maybe wore it around your neck and a reminder. ha ha just kidding! Weird. :) Hope it didn't ruin your weekend!