Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bottled Butter

I have been wanting to try bottling my butter for some time now and I finally was feeling adventureous yesterday and tried it! I think I screwed it up. :o( But, here is the process.


First, I unwrapped and melted 10 lbs of butter and let it simmer.
I heated jars in a 170 degree oven and then poured the butter in the jars. After about 20 minutes, all the jars made there little pinging noise letting me know they had sealed.
This is the butter in the jars right after I poured it in. It eventually started separating and I did the shaking like the directions said, but it wouldn't stay together. I put them in the fridge to harden and meant to give it a shake again before it hardened, but when I went back to shake them again, they were already hardened! There is a white film on the bottom of the jars and a little liquid....Is there anyone out there who knows how I can fix this problem and who can tell me if the butter is still good??

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I didn't know you could can butter! Good to know :)

sanpinney said...

Can you warm it up again to melt it, and then reharden again, not forgetting to shake??